Monday, April 5, 2010

2010 Sneak Preview













This past Saturday, May 3rd, the Portsmouth Farmer's Market opened for a special preview. The market was held in the Museum parking lot just off Court Street. The market generally begins at 9:00 AM and ends around 1:00PM. Sometimes farmers stay a little later to sell out of their wares. However, the smart shopper comes early.

Arriving just after 9:30, I spied some freshly harvested, tender asparagus at the Brother's Farm Market booth and am glad I purchased them right away.

By the time I chatted for a few minutes with a friend and recommended he check out the asparagus, they were sold out. However, they still had leeks, fennel, and mint. In addition to the asparagus, I purchased some fresh scallops from Pat Taylor at the Old Man and the Seafood booth. Once home, I rinsed the asparagus and snapped off their lower stems. This ensures I save and use the only tender part. Next, I steamed them until they were a brilliant green.

Then it was to focus my attention on the scallops. After drying them thoroughly, I sauteed them in olive oil. I added both to cooked whole wheat linguine and included some steamed broccoli florets and cubed zucchini to create a scallop,veggie, pasta salad. I added a splash Newman's Balsamic Vinegret to add some flavor, and voila a cool spring luncheon was born. Needless to say the scallops were plump, fresh, and succulent. Sauteing them dry brings out their sweetness. My husband appreciated the fresh combination of veggies and scallops as it was a feast for the eyes and tastebuds.

I do enjoy going to the farmers market. Inevitably, I meet and chat with friends and vendors. The visit made for a pleasant, satisfying Saturday morning, lunch, with great leftovers to savor later.

No comments:

Post a Comment